I knew about variadic functions, and the “…” syntax, but I’d assumed that was limited to the function declaration. When I tried to pass a slice of arguments as the final parameter of a call to a variadic function, I got errors. The answer is of course in the spec, but I didn’t find it quickly: v := foo(bar, baz...) So “…” shows up again. Here’s the relevant section of the spec:
I’ve been thinking quite a bit about writing a todo application. Over the years I’ve used tons of them (who hasn’t), and I’ve formed my opinions about features, behaviors, appearances and architectures for this class of application. Now I want to roll my own. This is supposed to be a fun project that will hopefully be a useful project. Because it’s by me, for me, and controlled by me, I have thought about how much time will be spent tweaking the system instead of letting the system help me get stuff done.
My first post to this blog was a little over a year ago. I had hoped to post much more during the year, but that clearly didn’t happen. After reviewing things, I decided the only way to fix them was to change the blogging software. OK, not really. I’ll do no retrospective other than to say that post frequency was less than I wanted. But, I did change the blogging software!
I want to move this thing to Github, so say hello to Jekyll. I’m not going to bother waiting for things to settle into their final form before pushing it, so enjoy a bunch of boilerplate Jekyll look, free, and content for a bit. It will at least provide a modicum of incentive to wrap up the migration. Königspress, we hardly knew ya.
Say hello to the Königspress theme. Similiar to Pageturner, but better (and maintained!).
I bought a Chromecast shortly after it debut and enjoyed months of great service. Lately I’ve been suffering through months of crappy service, and have spent a lot of time troubleshooting the thing. The main symptom: the Chromecast icon would drop off of apps shortly after connecting to them. This was only occuring when I had the device plugged into the TV for some reason. There are a lot of Chromecast support forums and I tried a ton of stuff the resulting in no change, or a moment of hope followed by disappointment.
I spent an hour trying to figure our why, after replacing or removing a Fragment, the UI of the fragment persisted (even though subsequent attempts to remove it would fail because it was supposedly already gone). The answer was finally found at the bottom of the Creating a Fragment lesson. “Note: When you add a fragment to an activity layout by defining the fragment in the layout XML file, you cannot remove the fragment at runtime.
Few things on my Macbook Pro consume as much power, and make the whole housing heat up, like a running emulator. I’m doing Android work and an emulator is essential, but I don’t like the power sapping side effects. I could shut it down, but the start-up time is long enough to become a distraction. But I really don’t need to use it all the time that it’s powered up either.
I just installed and activated a Comcast DVR. This was an annoying and time consuming process (Comcast doesn’t really know what equipment they ship you, manuals are wrong, support is hopeless), but the real shock was when everything was done and working. I’m doing this for one reason: my parents will be staying with us for a little while, and they’re addicted to cable/satellite TV. It they don’t get it, we’ll all be miserable.